Rules and Policies
The Calendar of Governance, Legislation and Rules contains a listing of candidature rules and regulations for both doctoral and masters by research study. These rules relate to issues such as eligibility for candidature at Macquarie University; the degrees available and attendance requirements; responsibilities of both candidates and their supervisors during the time of enrolment; periods of candidature; mode of enrolment; progressions reporting; conditions relating to termination of candidature and processes for the submission of the thesis.
Policy Central is the central repository for all University policies, procedures and guidelines. For Master of Research and Higher Degree Research candidates our policies govern degree transfer, doctoral equivalence, off site research, out of time candidature, supervision, thesis submission and termination of candidature. Please direct any policy questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates are encouraged to access the support services provided by the University's Campus Wellbeing Student Advocacy and Support office for additional support and independent advice regarding the University's rules, procedures and related matters. Questions about this process can also be directed to the Higher Degree Research Office on email@example.com
The current termination of candidature procedure is available on Policy Central.
The toolkits below can be used to help support candidates and the supervisors through both the current and new procedures.
- Quick Guide for Candidates
- Candidate checklist - Deciding to submit a formal review or to discontinue candidature
- Terms of Reference for the Formal Review Panels
- HDR Candidature Formal Review template Form
- Candidate Checklist - Deciding to submit an appeal against the termination of your candidature
- HDR Appeal Lodgement Form and associated MQ Fact Sheet
- Making satisfactory progress: an overview and guide for supervisors
- Supervisor Guide for Managing Drops in HDR Performance
- A Users Guide to Administrative Decision Making
- Supervisor Decision Tree Matrix
- Candidate Action Plan template
- Supervisor information for launching formal review in Tracker
The administrators toolkit for University staff administering this process and supporting candidates throughout this process will be available on the University Wiki.