Skip to Content

Candidate FAQs

How much time must I spend at each university?

Usually there is a minimum of one year at each university although this can consist of two or more separate visits.

Who do I talk to first about a cotutelle?

Your supervisor. If s/he does not know about cotutelles then set up a meeting with the HDR Co-ordinator (International Research Training Partnerships).

Can I add on a cotutelle if I am currently enrolled?

This is usually possible in the first year of enrolment, however you should allow time to complete application processes within that year. After the first year you have probably gone too far down your research path to be able to involve a new supervisor fully in your research plan. 

What if the other university wants me to do some coursework?

A limited amount of coursework (say, one semester) can be considered reasonable, but Macquarie expects its PhD students to do research, not coursework.

I have a Macquarie scholarship, will this continue at an overseas university?

Generally only the fees scholarship will continue. As a cotutelle is a partnership, Macquarie will expect the overseas university to provide you with a stipend for the period there. Your supervisor should contact GPO if this is a problem.

I really want to go to the USA, is this possible as a cotutelle?

Very difficult. Most American PhD programs have 2 years of coursework and very high fees.  Macquarie University will not pay those fees under any circumstance. If you are currently receiving an MQ scholarship, you will not be able to undertake the American coursework. In practice it may be much easier to go to a campus as a visitor, if your supervisor has good contacts.

Do I need to speak another language to do a cotutelle?

Clearly it will help but in many areas (especially business and science) research groups conduct discussions in English, especially in Europe. Day to day living in France, Germany, Spain, Italy requires the local language, but Scandinavia and the Netherlands have very high levels of English in the whole population. Generally a thesis can be written in English anywhere in the world. An abstract is often required in the local language. Oral examinations (defence / jury / disputation) will often be in English.

Got another question? Send it by email to the High Degree Research Office.

Content cannot be accessed