HDR Candidature Management Projects
Improving the HDR student research experience 2003 - 2007
Since 2003 the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) and the Higher Degree Research Committee (HDRC) have systematically sought feedback from specific groups of students on their initial, transitional research experiences at Macquarie University.
Between 46% - 63% of semester one commencing students have participated in this quality assurance study, representing around 100 students annually. Student feedback through this project is confidential and anonymous.
In 2007, international HDR students were also surveyed separately to provide feedback on their particular HDR experiences.
Project Aims: Commencing HDR Students
The overall aim of the Candidature Management projects is to seek feedback from commencing and international HDR students on their transition into higher degree research and on the quality of the research experience at Macquarie University. Student feedback has also been invaluable in helping the HDRC monitor the effectiveness of new policies for the improvement of HDR research.
For example, the 2006 study examined the transition into higher degree research and the quality of the first year research experience at Macquarie University. Specific aims were:
- To investigate the 2006 commencing HDR student cohort’s research experiences and their satisfaction with support and guidance provided by the University, Division, Department and Supervisor;
- To compare their experiences with those of the 2003-2005 cohort studies in order to ascertain changes in perceived experiences;
- To continue to measure change against the 2003 baseline;
- To provide recommendations to the HDRC for the continued improvement of the first year research degree experience at Macquarie University;
- To provide Divisions with specific feedback.
Project Aims: International HDR Students
The 2007 study examined the quality of higher degree research experience at Macquarie University for international HDR students from selected countries. Specific aims were:
- To investigate the experiences of selected groups of international HDR students in undertaking their research degree at Macquarie University;
- To examine the satisfaction of these international HDR students with the support and guidance provided by the University, Division and Department;
- To provide recommendation for the improvement of the international research degree experience at Macquarie University;
- To provide feedback to the University to assess and measure change in student experience and satisfaction as a result of implemented changes.
Outcomes & Reports
- First Year HDR Student Feedback: Executive Summaries 2003 - 2006 (Internal access only)
- First Year HDR Student Feedback: Full Reports 2003 - 2006 (Internal access only)
- HDR Student Feedback: Issues and Outcomes 2003 – 2006
- Implementation Reports of Recommended HDR Changes (Internal access only)
- International HDR Student Feedback: Executive Summary 2007 (Internal access only)
- International HDR Student Feedback: Full Report 2007 (Internal access only)
Candidature Management projects are under the direction of Professor Nick Mansfield and have been supported by Ms Kim Tan, Project Officer.
For further information, contact Nick Mansfield or Kim Tan: